We respect your privacy. As a professional business, we are committed to the Australian Privacy Principles (APP) and we have adopted the following principles for managing your personal information.
APP1 – Third Party Advertising and Cookies
Content marked as ‘Promoted’ or ‘Advertisement’ are predominantly displayed as a result of a commercial advertising arrangement or to highlight a particular product, provider or feature. ComparingExpert may receive remuneration for third-party vendors if you click on the related link, purchase or inquire about the product.
ComparingExpert’s decision to show a ‘promoted’ product is neither a recommendation that the product is appropriate for you nor an indication that the product is the best in its category. We encourage you to use the tools and information we provide to compare your options and find the best option for your particular circumstances and requirements.
Although we receive revenue and referral fees from advertising and affiliate links, we do not sell our opinions or tailor our analysis to maximise any partner’s commercial benefit. We are neither an agent, an associate nor a representative of any of the companies whose products and services we compare and analyse.
App2 – Transparency and Openness
This section outlines our clearly expressed and publicly available policy on the management of personal information.
On request by a person, we will take reasonable steps to let the person know, generally, what sort of personal information we hold, for what purposes, and how we collect, hold, use and disclose that information.
APP3 – Anonymity
Wherever it is lawful and practicable, you have the option of not identifying yourself when entering transactions with us. Please be aware that if you do not identify yourself we may not be able to provide you with advice or services.
APP4 – Collection
We will not collect your personal information unless it’s necessary to provide the information, advice or service you’ve requested.
We will collect personal information only by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive way.
We will not collect information about you unless:
- you have consented; or
- the collection is required by law; or
- the collection is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of any individual, where the individual whom the information concerns:
- is physically or legally incapable of giving consent to the collection; or
- physically cannot communicate consent to the collection; or
- the collection is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal or equitable claim.
APP5 – Unsolicited Collection
We will not collect your personal information unless it’s necessary to provide the information, advice or service you’ve requested.
If we collect personal information about you from someone else, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that you have been made aware of these matters listed (except to the extent that making you aware of the matters would pose a serious threat to the life or health of any individual.)
We will neither collect, retain, use or disclose personal information about you without your explicit knowledge and consent.
APP6 – Notification
At or before the time (or, if that is not practicable, as soon as practicable after) we collect personal information about you, we take reasonable steps to ensure that you are aware of:
- our identity and how to contact it; and
- the fact that you are able to gain access to the information; and
- the purposes for which the information is collected; and
- the organisations (or the types of organisations) to which we may disclose information of that kind; and
- any law that requires the particular information to be collected; and
- the main consequences (if any) for you if all or part of the information is not provided.
If it is reasonable and practicable to do so, we will only collect personal information about you from you.
APP7 – Use and disclosure
If you provide us with personal information to obtain a quote or advice you should understand that we will not use or disclose your personal information for any other purpose unless:
- both of the following apply:
- the other purpose is related to the primary purpose of collection. If the personal information you’ve provided to us is sensitive information then the other purpose has to be directly related to the primary purpose of collection; and
- you would reasonably expect us to use or disclose the information for the secondary purpose; or
- you have consented to the use or disclosure; or
- We reasonably believe that the use or disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent:
- a serious and imminent threat to an individual’s life, health or safety; or
- a serious threat to public health or public safety; or
- We have reason to suspect that unlawful activity has been, is being or may be engaged in, and uses or discloses the personal information as a necessary part of its investigation of the matter or in reporting its concerns to relevant persons or authorities; or
- the use or disclosure is required or authorised by or under law; or
- We reasonably believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary for one or more of the following by or on behalf of an enforcement body:
- the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences, breaches of a law imposing a penalty or sanction or breaches of a prescribed law;
- the enforcement of laws relating to the confiscation of the proceeds of crime;
- the protection of the public revenue;
- the prevention, detection, investigation or remedying of seriously improper conduct or prescribed conduct;
- the preparation for, or conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal, or implementation of the orders of a court or tribunal.
APP8 – Direct Marketing
The law allows us to use your personal information for direct marketing purposes if:
- it is impracticable for us to seek your consent before that particular use; and
- we will not charge you for giving effect to your request not to receive direct marketing communications; and
- you have not made a request to us not to receive direct marketing communications; and
- in each direct marketing communication with you, we draw to your attention, that you may express a wish not to receive any further direct marketing communications; and
- each written direct marketing communication by us with you (up to and including the communication that involves the use) sets out our contact details.
APP9 – Cross-border disclosure
Life Insurance Direct uses and relies on, some external service providers to operate our business efficiently and effectively. Some of these service providers are located outside Australia. Our Financial Services Guide lists the countries in which these providers operate or where your personal information may be stored. We may transfer personal information about you to someone who is in a foreign country only if:
- we reasonably believe that the recipient of the information is subject to a law, binding scheme or contract which effectively upholds principles for fair handling of the information that is substantially similar to the National Privacy Principles; or
- you consent to the transfer; or
- the transfer is necessary for the performance of a contract between you and us, or for the implementation of pre-contractual measures taken in response to your request; or
- the transfer is necessary for the conclusion or performance of a contract concluded in the interest of the individual between us and a third party; or
- all of the following apply:
- the transfer is for the benefit of the individual;
- it is impracticable to obtain your consent to that transfer;
- if it were practicable to obtain such consent, you would be likely to give it; or
- we have taken reasonable steps to ensure that the information which it has transferred will not be held, used or disclosed by the recipient of the information inconsistently with the National Privacy Principles.
APP10 – Identifiers
We will not adopt as its own identifier of an individual an identifier that has been assigned by:
- a government agency; or
- an agent of a government agency acting in its capacity as agent; or
- a contracted service provider for a Commonwealth contract acting in its capacity as contracted service provider for that contract.
We will not use or disclose an identifier assigned to an individual by an agency, or by an agent or contracted service provider, unless:
- the use or disclosure is necessary for an organisation to fulfil its obligations to the agency; or
- it is required for legal reasons; or
- the use or disclosure is by a prescribed organisation of a prescribed identifier in prescribed circumstances.
An identifier includes a number assigned by an organisation to an individual to identify uniquely the individual for the purposes of the organisation’s operations. However, an individual’s name or ABN (as defined in the A New Tax System (Australian Business Number) Act 1999) is not an identifier.
APP11 – Data quality
We take reasonable steps to make sure that the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
APP12 – Data security
We take reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We will also take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify personal information if it is no longer needed for any purpose for which the information may be used or disclosed under the Australian Privacy Principles.
Although we maintain a regular plan of recovery in the event of the loss of data stored in relation to products and for the purposes of compliance with internal dispute resolution procedures, we do not store individual personal data in relation to people’s use of the website, or any aspect of personal details such as names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses or credit card data which may be used to identify a person or their insurance information.
APP13 – Access and correction
If we hold personal information about you, then we will provide you with access to that information. You just need to let us know you’d like to review the information and we will provide you with access to that information.
Please understand that we do not need to provide you with access where:
- in the case of personal information other than health information, providing access would pose a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of any individual; or
- in the case of health information, providing access would pose a serious threat to the life or health of any individual; or
- providing access would have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of other individuals; or
- the request for access is frivolous or vexatious; or
- the information relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings between us and you, and the information would not be accessible by the process of discovery in those proceedings; or
- providing access would reveal our intentions in relation to negotiations with you in such a way as to prejudice those negotiations; or
- providing access would be unlawful; or
- denying access is required or authorised by or under law; or
- providing access would be likely to prejudice an investigation of possible unlawful activity; or
- providing access would be likely to prejudice:
- the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution or punishment of criminal offences, breaches of a law imposing a penalty or sanction or breaches of a prescribed law; or
- the enforcement of laws relating to the confiscation of the proceeds of crime; or
- the protection of the public revenue; or
- the prevention, detection, investigation or remedying of seriously improper conduct or prescribed conduct; or
- the preparation for, or conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal, or implementation of its orders, by or on behalf of an enforcement body; or
- an enforcement body performing a lawful security function asks us not to provide access to the information on the basis that providing access would be likely to cause damage to the security of Australia.
However, where providing access would reveal evaluative information generated in connection with a commercially sensitive decision-making process, we will give you an explanation for the commercially sensitive decision rather than direct access to the information.
If we are not required to provide you with access to the information because of one or more of these reasons, we will, if reasonable, consider alternative arrangements.
We have the right to charge you for providing you with access to the information we hold. If we do charge you for providing access to personal information, those charges:
- will not be excessive; and
- will not apply to lodging a request for access.
APP14 – Correction
If we hold personal information about you and you are able to establish that the information is not accurate, complete and up-to-date, we will take reasonable steps to correct the information so that it is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
If we disagree about whether the information is accurate, complete and up-to-date, and you ask us to associate with the information a statement claiming that the information is not accurate, complete or up-to-date, we must take reasonable steps to do so.
We will provide reasons for denial of access or a refusal to correct personal information.
Life insurance direct takes your privacy seriously and if any issue has arisen in relation to privacy and the use of this site, you may contact us at [email protected]