Your Guide to NRMA Life Insurance and Income Protection
If you’re an NRMA member and have received an offer to take out life insurance or already have life cover with them and are wondering whether it’s worth it, then we’re here to help you make an informed decision.
We dive into their product offering to bring you the latest on their personal insurance policies. For the best results, request an NRMA online quote from the company and compare it to some of the leading life insurers in Australia.
How does NRMA compare to other life insurance companies?
One of the biggest attractions to this insurer is the many discounts they provide, including:
- Up to 35% off when purchasing cover over $300,000.
- Get 5% off their life insurance premiums when you’re an existing NRMA insurance policyholders.
- Receive another discount when you add your partner to your policy.
- Get a month free when you pay annually.
However, as we always say, the cost of your policy is not where the value lies, it’s in the quality of the cover provided and the assurance that you’ll be protected if the worse should happen.
|Usually, you won’t have to undergo any medical tests or complicated application forms, making applying got life cover easy and convenient.||Underwriting is generally done at claim time. If you did not give the insurer all the relevant and correct information when you applied, there's a chance your claim will be denied.|
|Your NRMA policy is guaranteed renewable until you’re 99-years-old.||NRMA does not provide trauma insurance.|
|You can freeze your life insurance premiums, to stay at its current price. However, the amount insured will reduce each year to match the premium you're paying.5||Generally, only stepped premiums are available. Meaning, your premiums increase each year on your policy anniversary as you get older.|
|You can increase your life cover at any time before your 66th birthday when a significant life event occurs. For example, you got married, had children or bought a house.||Their income protection benefit period only extends to a maximum of 5 years and does not cover cancer, stroke or heart attack during the first six months of your policy commencing.|
NRMA life insurance review
Life cover provides a lump sum benefit when you die or get diagnosed with a terminal illness with less than 12 months to live.
- $1.5 million maximum cover amount.
- Advance payment of $10,000 to pay for funeral expenses as soon as your claim is approved.
- 18 to 65-year-old Australian Residents are eligible to receive coverage.
- Free over-the-phone trauma and loss counselling for your loved ones.
Exclusion: No benefit will be paid if death occurs in the first 13 months because of suicide or intentional self-injury.
Compare Up to 11 Life Insurers
NRMA income protection insurance
Receive a monthly benefit of up to 85% of your regular income, minus tax, up to $10,000, when you can no longer work due to sickness or injury. To apply for this cover, you must be between 18 and 60-years-old and work more than 20 hours per week. Cover expires at age 75.
Your choice of 14 or 28 days, 2 or 3 months.
Choose between 6, 12 or 24 months, or 5 years.
If you do not qualify for an income protection policy because of your health or lifestyle, you might still get Essentials Cover which provides up to $3,000 a month if you're not working. A fixed waiting period of 28 days apply and a choice of benefit period of 6, 12 or 24 months.
Optional add-on benefits for an extra fee
Pays a monthly benefit for up to 85% of your pre-tax income, up to $3,000, for up to 3 months. You must be permanently employed and work 30 hours or more per week to qualify for this benefit. Carefully review the full list of exclusions in the PDS.
Holiday injury cover
Provides a once-off benefit, equal to your first month’s benefit payment (max $3,000), when injured during school or public holidays, or if you’re more than 200km away from home.
Kid's injury cover
Helps you cover the expenses of your kids getting injured by paying up to $50,000 worth of protection. Excludes conditions that were present at birth, or intentional acts. Ends when your child turns 18 or after the total $50,000 has been paid.
Permanent disability cover
If you are permanently unable to perform two or more of the below activities, you'll receive a lump sum benefit between $50,000 and $500,000:
- Bathing, including cleaning yourself in the shower.
- Ability to use the toilet; getting on and off.
- Dressing and undressing yourself.
- Feeding yourself.
- To get in and out of bed or a chair.
What's not covered by NRMA income protection?
No claim will be payable if you’re unable to work directly or indirectly because of:
- Cancer, stroke or heart attack during the first 6 months of your policy starting.
- Mental health disorders, including alcohol and drug abuse.
- Normal and uncomplicated pregnancy.
- War or any act of war.
- Terrorism, civil commotion and unrest.
- Intentional self-inflicted act.
- Committing or attempting to commit a criminal offence.
Please read the NRMA life insurance PDS for more details regarding the list of exclusions.
Frequently asked questions and answers
Compare Up to 11 Life Insurers
- Discover how you can get rewarded for living a healthy lifestyle. Compare insurance rewards from some of Australia’s largest life insurance companies.
- Review the best life insurance companies in Australia for 2019. Get quotes online form major insurers and compare features and premiums side-by-side.
- Compare AMP life insurance quotes online. AMP Life has been sold. Find out how your life, income protection, TPD or trauma insurance policy is affected.
- Review nib Value Life Insurance, income protection and funeral plans. We reveal all the benefits and exclusions you need to know about before making a decision.
- Discover the REST insurance automatically included in your superannuation and review the pros and cons of their death, TPD and income protection insurance.
- We reveal what insurance types Australia’s largest super fund offers its members. Plus, find out if aged-based Australian Super income protection is worth it.