If you had to choose between life insurance or car insurance, which would you choose? According to insurance company AAMI (1), more than 80% of Australian drivers say they have car insurance. Yet many people fail to protect their family’s income producing resources, life insurance for both spouses is something that is vital.
Life Insurance vs Car Insurance
While we are a privately-owned business, the offers that appear on this site are from companies from which www.comparingexpert.com.au receives compensation. We may receive compensation from our partners for placement of their products or services. We may also receive compensation if you click on certain links posted on our site.
While compensation arrangements may affect the order, position or placement of product information, it doesn’t influence our assessment of those products. Please don’t interpret the order in which products appear on our site as any endorsement or recommendation from us.
www.comparingexpert.com.au compares a select range of products, providers and services, but we don’t provide comparisons or information on all available products, providers or services. Please appreciate that there may be other options available to you than the products, providers or services covered by our service.
Life insurance is about planning for the future
According to one life insurance company survey, nearly a third of Australians found it difficult or unpleasant to discuss insurance with their partner (2).
One other factor that stops people taking out adequate insurance is the belief that other safety nets will do the job, such as savings or superannuation death benefits.
But I have Super – relying on a superannuation death benefit to meet family commitments after death may be fraught with danger. How many of us assess the life insurance benefits available inside super? The default amounts may not be enough to protect your family.
But I have long-term savings – do you have a nest egg capable of paying off a mortgage and looking after your family’s financial needs?
It does take some time to think about it all, but planning for the future of your loved ones should certainly be up there. Life insurance should be just as important as car insurance, if not more so!
Buy Life Insurance Directly
|Policy||Maximum Cover||Maximum Entry Age||Expiry Age|
|NobleOak Direct Life Insurance|| |
|Protect your family with Life Insurance and pay on average 20%* less when compared with other insurers. T & Cs apply. Consider the PDS. Issuer is NobleOak Life Limited ABN 85087648708. AFSL 247302.|
So what is life insurance?
It’s all about risk. Risk is the chance of an event resulting in a loss, something valuable getting stolen or a person suffering injury or even death. Life insurance doesn’t remove the risk of terminal illness or death but it provides compensation and financial security for the policyholder, you and/or your family if something bad happens.
There is a significant underinsurance problem in Australia. Industry bodies such as IFSA (the Investment and Financial Services Association) believe much of this underinsurance is the result of a poor understanding of how life insurance works and of the financial risks we face throughout our lives.
Life insurance – is there an alternative?
To understand the true value of insurance it is useful to consider the alternatives. Let’s say, instead of using life insurance you wanted to build up a lump sum of money to take care of your family should illness, injury or death affect your ability to meet mortgage payments and put food on the table.
Firstly, you’d need to build up a substantial sum of money and that could take a long time. Secondly, you’d have to invest your money where you could get at it easily, such as a bank account. So your ability to earn a high return on that money would be reduced. You’d need serious willpower to save all that money even though there may be more enjoyable ways to use it.
1. Shopping for Car Insurance, AAMI Fact Sheet, September 2008.
2. ING Australia, Attitudes Towards Life Insurance, December 2008.
Source: Macquarie Life 2011
- Use our quote tool to get cheap life insurance without compromising on value. Find the right life insurance for your specific requirements and budget.
- Find out who gets your life insurance when you die. We explain the rules, what happens if no beneficiary is chosen and if your beneficiary will pay taxes.
- Discover what life insurance is, how it works in Australia, the benefits it provides you & your loved ones & whether you need it at this stage of your life.
- Compare Australian life insurance quotes online for free. A side-by-side review of premiums, benefits and features. Apply & buy life insurance online!
- Get clarity about the pros and cons of buying life insurance directly from the insurer. Plus, a breakdown of ASIC’s 587 report & why you might need a broker
- 8 Tips for managing your life insurance premiums. Learn how premiums are calculated to help you find the right coverage & plan for possible future increases