Analysing Asteron Life Insurance
Whether you’re comparing life insurance companies for the first time or you regularly review your policy to ensure the coverage is still appropriate to your lifestyle, we can help you determine which company can be trusted to provide you with value for money.
If you’re searching for affordable life cover that will protect family's financial future, a good place to start is with the most well-known companies, specifically the ones with a solid financial history.
Asteron Life Insurance has been a specialist life insurance company for more than 180 years, and for the last decade they’ve had the strong financial backing of one of Australia’s largest insurance groups, Suncorp Group Limited. Asteron Life paid $379 million in claims in 2016 and proudly provides a range of features and benefits that will support you and your family when you need it most.
Asteron Life Insurance products:
Asteron wrote their very first policy in 1833 in Australia and since 2007 have been owned by Suncorp Group Limited, one of Australia's largest insurance groups registered under section 21 of the Life Insurance Act 1995. In 2011 Asteron was rebranded as Asteron Life.
Asteron provides you with a Guaranteed Future Insurability benefit, so you can increase your cover without having to provide additional medical information. This benefit can be used at any time when you’re life has undergone changes. For example, when you get married, become a parent or get a substantial salary increase.
This benefit is renewed annually until your policy expires. All that is required from you is that you continue to pay your premiums. Conditions do apply, so make sure you read the Asteron Life PDS for complete clarity.
Asteron Life Complete products
Asteron sees life insurance as being about ‘celebrating life’ instead of worrying about the doom and gloom of ‘worst case scenarios’. With their well-trained claims team, who assess most claims within 24 hours, and the backing of Suncorp their life insurance products seem promising.
However, as with all insurance company reviews, it is important that you carefully read their product disclosure statement. The Asteron Life PDS will help you gain clarity on the specifics of each product including added benefits, waiting periods and possible exclusions.
To assist you in your journey of discovery, we review the Asteron Life Complete insurance product range, including Asteron income protection.
Life cover pays out a one-off lump sum to your nominated beneficiary(s) in the event of your death or diagnosis of a terminal illness. This lump sum can be used to pay the mortgage, provide for your children's education and help your family maintain the lifestyle they’ve grown accustomed to.
Asteron Life Complete Life Cover can be purchased as a standalone policy or linked with TPD or Trauma or Trauma Plus.
Exclusions: The standard exclusion of death occurring due to suicide within the first 13 months of your policy commencing applies. Meaning, no claim will be paid if the life insured died as a result of taking their own life.
A lump sum of up to $2 million is paid out if you’re diagnosed with any of the 40 serious medical conditions (as listed and defined in the Asteron Life Complete PDS). This lump sum helps you and your family cope with additional medical expenses, home modifications or can be used to provide support in case you are not able to work and earn a salary.
The Trauma Booster Option will double the payment for Partial Trauma Benefit, and ‘boost’ your benefit by an additional 25% for certain trauma events.
Asteron Life Complete also offers you the optional extra of a Business Security Option. If you are a business owner, and a specified business event occurs, you can increase your trauma cover amount once a year without the need for additional medical information.
Exclusions: You are not covered for any traumas or medical events that existed before your policy started. No claim will be paid if the event was caused directly or indirectly by an international self-inflicted act.
Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD) Cover
If you become totally or permanently disabled, as defined in the PDS, Asteron will help relieve some of your financial burdens by paying out a lump sum to help with home modifications, medical bills and any other ongoing expenses.
Asteron Life Complete TPD Cover offers white-collar occupations the opportunity to extend their cover to age 70.
Exclusions: A TPD benefit will not be paid if the disability was directly or indirectly caused by an international self-inflicted act.
Income Protection Cover
Asteron income protection is specifically designed to replace 75% of your monthly income, up to $60,000, if you're unable to work for a set period of time because of an injury or illness. This benefit acts as a replacement salary to pay the bills so you can focus on recuperation and getting back to work.
Take note income protection insurance is only available if you work at least 20 hours per week. You can choose from the following waiting periods: 14 days, 30, 60, 90 days, 1 year or 2 years.
You can generally select a benefit period of 2 years, 5 years or to your age 65 or 70, except for Accident Only cover. However, a benefit period extending beyond your age 60 will be dependent on your occupational class.
3 types of Income Protection Cover
|Income Protection Plus||Income Protection Cover||Accident Only Cover|
|Most comprehensive income protection option.||Protection for anyone.||Basic income protection only covering accidental injuries.|
|6 times your monthly benefit should you die or become terminally ill.||3 times monthly benefit if you die or become terminally ill.||3 times monthly benefit if you die or become terminally ill.|
|Childcare fees are reimbursed if you’re totally disabled and require childcare assistance.||You can add the Childcare Reimbursement benefit for an additional fee.||Not available.|
|If you become involuntarily unemployed your premiums are waived for up to 6 months.||You can add the Unemployment benefit for an additional cost.||Not available.|
Exclusions: An income protection benefit will likely not be paid if directly or indirectly caused by:
- An intentional self-inflicted act.
- Pregnancy, miscarriage or childbirth unless you are continuously disabled for longer than 90 days.
- War or an act of war.
- Your voluntary participation in any criminal activity.
Business Expenses Cover
This applies to you if you own and/or run a business. If you are unable to see to your business commitments for a while, due to illness, Asteron ensures you will be paid a monthly benefit until things return to normal.
Take note: business expenses cover is only available if you work at least 30 hours per week. Waiting periods are 14 days, 30, 60, or 90 days. All benefit periods are for 12 months.
List of Asteron life insurance benefits
- 24 hour worldwide cover.
- $10,000 in cover for each of your children should they become seriously ill or injured.
- Financial planning benefit: You’ll be reimbursed up to $2,500 for the cost of getting financial planning advice from an accredited financial adviser.
- Funeral advancement benefit: Your loved ones may receive an advance of up to $20,000, from your cover lump sum, to help pay for your final expenses.
- Loyalty funeral benefit: When your premiums are paid for 10 consecutive years on a level basis (to age 70) then Asteron life cover will pay an additional $15,000 if you die.
- Grief support counselling: Asteron Insurance will help pay for grief counselling for you and your family after a claim has been paid.
- Waiver of premium: You won’t have to pay your premiums for up to two years if you suffer from a sickness or injury that results in your inability to perform at least 2 activities of daily living.
- Premium freeze: When paying your premium on a stepped basis you can ask to have your premiums frozen on your life cover, TPD or trauma cover at any time, so your premiums will continue at a set amount. However, take note that your cover will usually decrease accordingly.
The above product, benefits and exclusions should be carefully considered before purchasing a policy. Make sure to read the PDS for in-depth information about the fund, the discounts offered and the benefits you’ll be entitled to.
Compare Asteron Life Policies
Healthy Life Option (HLO)
HLO provides eligible customers on stepped premiums the opportunity to reduce their Life Cover and/or new TPD Cover premiums by 10%. However, this does not apply to those who applied or were issued cover on or before 9 April 2017. Also, your Life and TPD Cover should not have any loadings or exclusions.
Healthy Plus Option (HPO)
When you take a yearly QuickCheck, MBA blood test and fill in a lifestyle questionnaire, you could qualify for 20% off your Life Cover premiums. However, should you choose not to provide that annual health check, your discount will reduce by 1% every year, up to a guaranteed minimum of 10% for the duration of your policy. Fortunately, you can reapply for the full discount anytime up to the age of 55.
Frequently Asked Questions
Always do your homework and carefully compare and review policies before making a final decision. While Asteron Life is continuously improving the quality of their service, striving to provide customers with the best policy options, it does not mean they’re the right life company for you.
Compare Life Insurance Companies
- Discover how you can get rewarded for living a healthy lifestyle. Compare insurance rewards from some of Australia’s largest life insurance companies.
- Review the best life insurance companies in Australia for 2019. Get quotes online form major insurers and compare features and premiums side-by-side.
- Compare AMP life insurance quotes online. AMP Life has been sold. Find out how your life, income protection, TPD or trauma insurance policy is affected.
- Review nib Value Life Insurance, income protection and funeral plans. We reveal all the benefits and exclusions you need to know about before making a decision.
- Discover the REST insurance automatically included in your superannuation and review the pros and cons of their death, TPD and income protection insurance.
- Discover what NRMA life insurance has to offer, including the numerous discounts available. Review the pros and cons of NRMA life insurance & income protection.