TAL Health Insurance Review: Hospital and Extras Policies
TAL, one of the leading life insurance companies in Australia has partnered with NIB, one of Australia's biggest health insurance brands, to offer you another choice of private health insurance provider.
If you are considering their health insurance offering, be sure you know what is covered, what's excluded, how much it costs.
About TAL private health insurance
Currently, health insurance by TAL is only available through a select group of financial advisers. If you get referred by one of these financial adviser's you could receive 5% off your premiums.
If you purchase a TAL Health Insurance Combined Hospital and Extras policy before 31 January 2019, you'll get $200 off your next premium payment after you've successfully had your plan for 3 continues months.
TAL Health Insurance cover options
TAL offers a range of flexible policy options suited to your individual requirements. You can choose between any 4 Hospital options and 4 Extras options, with the opportunity to create your own combined package by mixing and matching Hospital and Extras.
There are 4 Hospital cover options available, each at different price points, covering a wide range of in-hospital treatments. Every Hospital policy from TAL also includes cover for accidental injuries and emergency ambulance services after only one day of your plan being active.
The general amount of time (waiting period) you'll have to serve before claiming benefits is 2 months for psychiatric treatment, rehabilitation or palliative care and 12 months for procedures relating to pre-existing conditions, including pregnancy-related services.
Basic Plus Hospital
- $127.43 per month
- Covers brain and dental surgery
- Colonoscopies and gastroscopies
- Joint investigations and reconstructions
- Gynaecological services
- Hernia repair
- Stroke treatment and cancer surgery.
- Removal of appendix, tonsils and adenoids.
- Psychiatric treatment for Minimum Benefits Payable (MPB) only
- $158.80 per month
- Everything listed in the Basic Plus package
- Back surgery.
- Heart-related procedures and surgery
- Palliative care
- $213.69 per month
- Everything in the Mid Hospital option
- Eye treatment and surgery
- Joint replacement
- Renal dialysis
- $269.75 per month
- Everything listed in the Advanced option
- Assisted reproductive services and infertility investigations
- Pregnancy and birth-related treatments
- Obesity surgery
Compare Health Insurers
TAL offers you the choice between 4 Extras policies providing coverage for general treatments done outside of a hospital. You can purchase this policy type either as a stand-alone or combine it with your Hospital coverage. All Extras offers 100% back on preventative tests up to $100 and includes comprehensive ambulance coverage.
TAL Health Insurance Extras options
|Essential Extras||Wellbeing Extras||Family Wellbeing||Premium Extras|
|$43.38 per month||per month||per month||per month|
|60% back, up to your annual limit||60% back, up to your annual limit||60% back, up to your annual limit||75% back, up to your annual limit|
|$600 General dental||$700 General dental||$700 General dental||$1000 General dental|
|$600 Major dental||$700 Major dental||$700 Major dental||$1100 Major dental|
|$500 Orthodontics||$700 Orthodontics|
|$200 Optical||$250 Optical||$250 Optical||$300 Optical|
|$300 Physiotherapy||$350 Physiotherapy||$350 Physiotherapy||$500 Physiotherapy|
|$300 Chiropractic||$350 Chiropractic||$350 Chiropractic||$400 Chiropractic|
|$300 Psychology||$300 Psychology||$400 Psychology|
|$200 non-PBS Pharmaceuticals||$450 non-PBS Pharmaceuticals|
|$250 Podiatry||$300 Podiatry|
|$250 Blood glucose monitors||$250 Blood glucose monitors||$250 Blood glucose monitors|
|$1200 Hearing aids|
Calculations are based on a single adult living in Victoria and exclude any rebate or loadings.
Waiting periods for Extras cover
- 1 Day: Ambulance services
- 2 months: General dental, physiotherapy and chiropractic, non-PBS pharmaceuticals, podiatry, psychology and acupuncture.
- 6 months: Optical and preventative tests such as a bowel screening
- 12 months: Major dental, Endodontic, Orthodontics and blood glucose monitors
- 3 years: Hearing aids
Before you decide to purchase health insurance from TAL, you might want to shop around to gather and compare quotes from different health funds, to make sure you find the best coverage for your requirements and budget.
Frequently asked questions and answers
Is TAL a health insurance company?
No. TAL Life Limited is a life insurance specialist in Australia. Their health policies are issued by NIB, a register private health insurer.
How can I join TAL health cover?
Currently, to get a TAL health insurance policy you’ll need to be referred by one of the select groups of financial advisers who have access to this insurer’s offering.
Compare Health Insurers
- Review their Hospital and Extras options and decide whether the not-for-profit health fund is a good option for you. Request a HIF health insurance quote now.
- Decide if you should switch or purchase health cover from NIB by reviewing their Hospital and Extras policies. Compare NIB quotes with other big health funds.
- Find out if AHM is a good choice for you and your family by reviewing the packages, Hospital and Extras policies they offer. Request an AHM quote and compare.
- Review what HCF insurance has to offer; Combined packages, Hospital & Extras, and Ambulance cover. Request an HCF health insurance quote & compare policies.
- Review what Bupa health insurance has to offer, Hospital, Extras and Combination packages. Discover how government changes impacts your Bupa coverage.
- Request and compare quotes from Australia’s top private health insurance companies per 2019 market share. Review premium increases & customer satisfaction.