Did you know your health insurance premiums are also influenced by the state you live in? For instance, if the residents in your area are generally unhealthy, and frequently claim from their health fund, you might pay higher premium rates than someone purchasing the same level of cover in another state of Australia.
Northern Territory Health Insurance
Find out which health insurance company in NT offers you the right level of cover at a price you can afford.
Finding affordable health insurance in NT
The cost of health insurance is influenced by a variety of factors, including your personal requirements, state demographics, the level of competition between health funds, and the health trends in your area.
Not all policies are created equal. Even when they seem similar, they can be drastically different in features and benefits, which is why it’s so important that you carefully review the terms and conditions of a policy before purchasing.
To make sure that you’re getting maximum value for your premium, it’s important that you compare apples to apples and decide which one offers you the most benefits for your buck.
Northern Territory health insurance compared
The below table shows 6 of Australia’s top health insurance companies available in Northern Territory. The premiums and policy type is based on a single adult, with no dependents, purchasing for a combined hospital and extras package.
|Health Fund||Policy Option||Excess||Average Monthly Premium||What Stands Out|
|Australian Unity||Smart Start||$100||$144.50||Partial cover for ambulance services with no waiting period. You’ll also receive cover for general dental, optical and physiotherapy.|
|Bupa||Healthlink essentials plus||$500||$103.60||Top cover for inpatient hospital treatment with partial ambulance coverage. Remedial massage & acupuncture is also covered.|
|HCF||Young Starter||$250||$96.65||Free overseas travel insurance and comprehensive ambulance cover. You’ll also be covered for optical, chiropractic and physiotherapy.|
|Medibank||Everyday Essentials||$500||$96.45||Full benefits for the removal of wisdom teeth, tonsils and appendix & treatment of injuries sustained in an accident. You’re also covered for dental, optical, and acupuncture.|
|ACT Nurses and Midwives||StarterPak||$0||$76.25||Full benefits for hernias, knee and shoulder investigations and reconstructions and well as cover for dental, optical, physiotherapy and remedial massage.|
|Teachers Health Fund||StarterPak||$0||$76.25||Comprehensive ambulance cover with access to a national network of agreement private hospitals & day facilities. You’ll also receive cover for Non PBS Pharmaceuticals, chiropractic and physiotherapy.|
Health insurance NT: Exclusions and waiting periods
If you were to become pregnant and your policy excludes maternity treatments and services, then you will have to pay entire cost pregnancy related services not covered by Medicare. The same applies if your policy includes a pregnancy waiting period of 12 months and you fall pregnant before this period has been served.
That’s why it’s so important to make sure that you are aware and understand all these details before purchasing your policy.
Avoid levies and claim rebates
NT health insurance FAQs
Are ambulance services covered in NT?
No, ambulance services are not covered by the Northern Territory Government. The cost of emergency ambulance services is charged per kilometre and includes a call out fee. To cover these costs, you either need to become a member of St John Ambulance or take out private health insurance that includes ambulance cover with your policy.
Are dental services free in the Northern Territory?
Yes, there are free public dental services for those living in the NT if:
- You’re part of the Federal Government’s cleft lip and cleft palate scheme,
- You have a Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card or a Centrelink Health Care Card, or
- You’re under 18 years old, don’t work full-time, and are still in school.
You can also access free emergency dental care if you’re a remote resident (meaning more than a 100km from your nearest health service) and don’t have access to private dental.
The best way to find cover that suits your budget and requirements is to compare policies and premiums from various health funds.
- Find out how much an ambulance costs in New South Wales, whether you qualify for an exemption and which providers offer the cheapest NSW ambulance cover.
- Find health insurance in South Australia. Free quotes ✓ Compare premiums ✓ Review benefits ✓ Avoid levies & claim your insurance rebate
- We reveal the best private health insurance in ACT. Compare premiums & features from top companies. Decide which one best suits your budget & circumstances.
- We compare the top private health insurance in Tasmania, helping you find an affordable option that suits your current circumstances & unique requirements.
- We’ve made it easy for WA residents to compare health insurance options, so you can find budget-friendly health cover that suits your current stage of life
- Find the cheapest private health insurance in Queensland that also suits your needs. Compare premiums, benefits, and exclusions from top health companies.