It’s no secret that private health insurance offers you more health care options than Medicare can provide. However, with so many health insurance options to choose from it’s important to carefully compare health funds before you decide which one will provide you with the most value for money.
nib Health Insurance Review
If you’ve been considering nib as a viable health cover option, then take a few minutes to read through this article and find out more about nib’s health insurance solutions. Compare their plans, get a nib health insurance quote, and see if what they offer is suitable to your specific needs and circumstances.
nib private health insurance started in 1952, with a group of like-minded workers at BHP Steelworks in Mayfield who came together to set up Newcastle Industrial Benefits, better known as nib,. 65 years later, nib is one of Australia’s fastest growing private health fund, providing health cover to more than one million customers.
nib Hospital Cover options
If you’re looking for a hospital plan that best suits your lifestyle and budget, then take a moment to compare and review nib’s four different levels of cover. nib’s Hospital Cover options include Basic, Standard, Advantage, and Top.
While there are clear differences between these levels, each hospital cover option includes:
- Access to the nib MediGap scheme, which means you’re less likely to face out-of-pocket expenses by using participating practitioners.
- Cover for ward fees, day surgery, special care unit accommodation, nursing expenses, and operating theatre fees*.
- Unlimited emergency ambulance cover.
- No excess for dependent children (up to age 21 years) upon hospital admission.
Take note; the above features are not always available with basic hospital plans. Carefully read through your product disclosure statement (PDS) documents to make sure what you are and are not covered for.
|Hospital Cover||What is covered||What is excluded|
|Basic Hospital $250 or $500 excess|
|Standard Hospital $500|
|Advantage Hospital $250 or $500 excess|
|Top Hospital $250 or $500 excess|
Core Extras vs. Core Extras Plus
|What’s covered||nib Core Extras (65% Back)||nib Core Extras Plus (75% Back)|
|Preventative dental treatments, including examinations, scale and clean, fluoride treatments.|
|General dental, including fillings, x-rays, and basic extractions.|
|Major dental, including crowns, bridges, root canal, wisdom teeth, dentures, and implants.|
|Antenatal & postnatal||You can add it|
|Chiropractic & Osteopathy||You can add it|
|Dietary advice||You can add it|
|Health Aids||You can add it|
|Hearing aids||You can add it|
|Speech processor for hearing aids|
|Natural therapies||You can add it|
|Occupational therapy||You can add it|
|Pharmaceuticals||You can add it|
|Podiatry & orthotics||You can add it|
|Preventative tests||You can add it|
|Psychology||You can add it|
|Speech pathology||You can add it|
The only add-on which lets you get orthodontics and speech therapy cover with your Core policy. If you’re looking for nib family cover, these add-ons offer Extras that your family needs as they grow, including kids’ items that they would use for things like asthma or dyslexia.
These will help you look after your general wellbeing, including cover for things like splints, braces, joint fluid replacements, and other items that a healthy person who’s experienced an injury might need to use. It also includes cover for chiropractic, osteopathy, natural therapies, and psychology.
Young at Heart Extras
Designed for the older and wiser among us, it includes a specialised range of useful health devices cover, like cover for hearing aids, pharmaceuticals, preventative tests, and more.
Cover options at different life stages
nib offers singles health insurance, couples health insurance, and family health insurance. Each is tailored to suit a variety of lifestyles, from nuclear families and older individuals living the single life, to single-parent families on a budget.
Benefits of nib health cover
There are many benefits to having private health insurance, but to enjoy those benefits, it is essential that you choose the correct cover for your needs and profile.
- Use nib’s app for easy mobile claiming from your iPhone, iPad, and Android, by simply snapping and submitting a photo of your treatment receipt.
- Use the app to check your remaining Extras benefits, update your details, and find your nearest nib centre.
- Hospital cover levels include Accidental Injury Benefit which offers more protection against the unexpected accidents.
- If you get treatment at nib Agreement Private Hospitals, you can keep your hospital costs down, by reducing/eliminating the need to pay out-of-pocket expenses.
- All new members benefit from a 30-day guarantee, so if you’re unhappy, they’ll refund your premiums if you haven’t already claimed.
nib Exclusions | What’s not covered
- If you claim for treatment that is excluded from your health insurance policy.
- If you claim for treatments/services performed during the waiting period on your policy.
- If it’s for a treatment/service that hasn’t been received
- Any hospital excess.
- Pharmaceuticals available under the PBS.
- If your claim is not lodged within two years of the date of service.
- Care and accommodation in nursing homes.
- Respite care.
- Special nursing.
- If you claim for services/treatments performed outside of Australia.
Waiting Periods and Excesses
A waiting period refers to the amount of time you’ll have to wait before you can claim for a specific service or treatment. The excess is the amount you pay first, reducing the burden on the insurer and allowing them to provide policies at a lower premium.
- Pregnancy and birth-related services: 12 months.
- Pre-existing conditions: 12 months. This was when symptoms of your illness or injury were evident at any time during the 6 months immediately before
- Psychiatric, rehabilitation or palliative care services: 2
- Accidental injury: 1 day
- Ambulance services: 1 day.
- nib has two levels of excess you can choose, $250 or $500 per person.
- The number of times that you pay excess per calendar year is determined by your policy.
- nib doesn’t cover hospital excess.
- You can choose a higher excess to lower your premiums, or a lower excess and pay higher premiums.
- Most hospitals expect that you pay your excess before admission into the hospital.
Frequently asked questions about nib health care
Nib dental insurance is part of their selection of Extras cover that enables you to keep your teeth healthy. With this option, you could receive up to 100% cash back for dental check-ups at nib Dental Care Centres, and Pacific Smiles Dental. These check-ups include an examination, scale, clean, and fluoride treatment. However, there are limits, so check your policy.
You claim from your nib health insurance policy by simply swiping your membership card at participating providers or submit your claim via the nib app on your smartphone. If you prefer going old school, you can post your claim form to nib or submit it in person at any nib retail centre
To cancel a health insurance policy from nib, the policyholder must notify nib in writing, or call them directly. Alternatively, you can cancel face-to-face at any nib retail centre. The cancellation will take effect from the date on which you give notice and must be in accordance with the terms and conditions of your policy.
nib offers a diverse range of health insurance products, suitable for people from all stages of life. However, if you want to be sure they are the right fit for you and your family, it might be worth comparing their policy options against other top health insurers in Australia.
NIB and TAL has teamed up. Review TAL private health insurance hospital and extras policies which you can mix and match into a tailored health package.
Find out if you can join the private health insurance company specifically designed for medical professionals. Compare their Hospital and Extras options.
Find out if Peoplecare is the right health fund for you. We review their 3 Hospital and 4 Extras policy options, including their premiums & waiting periods.
Pros and cons of Qantas health fund. Discover their Hospital, Extras & Family cover options. Find how you can earn Qantas points with their Wellbeing App.
Learn about the benefits of Defence Health insurance; what they have to offer AFD members and the wider Defence community and whether you’re eligible to join.
Find out if Teachers Health insurance is any good. We compare Hospital, Extras & StartPak cover. Review advantages of joining and how their premiums stack-up.