myOwn Health Insurance Review
GMHBA has partnered with AIA Vitality to bring you myOwn Health Insurance. This AIA health insurance initiative rewards you for looking after your health by giving you up to 75% back from any credit provider up to your annual limit when adding Extras cover. Basically, the more healthy and active you are, the more Vitality points you’ll earn; the more points you earn the healthier you’ll become and so the motivational cycle continues.
With AIA now including their Vitality benefits to a health insurance program it promises to be a game changer, which is why we have provided you with a thorough review, so you can decide whether their products suit your requirements and budget.
GMHBA, a not-for-profit health fund has partnered with the life insurance giant AIA and their Vitality programme to create myOwn health insurance. They not only help you when things go wrong, they believe in helping you become healthier now, to prevent illnesses.
Together, these three groups aim to improve the health and wellbeing of Australians. By creating a product that protects you financially, while motivating you to be healthier, you’ll have great incentives to stick to your health goals. You can look forward to lower premiums, discounts on flights and gym memberships, and assorted gift vouchers.
Benefits of AIA Vitality health insurance
- Access to a wide variety of hospital and extras cover, giving you the choice of cover suited to your needs and circumstances.
- You are covered by a health insurer while simultaneously being able to enjoy the benefits of a health-and-wellness program.
- Extras Cover with 50% to 70% returns from any recognised provider up to your annual limit.
- Skin checks and swimming lessons for kids on Extras Cover (when recommended by a doctor).
- A 5% health insurance premium discount upon joining. This applies while you maintain a Silver Status.
- 12.5% starting discount on life insurance from AIA Australia through your Vitality membership.
- Easily earn AIA Vitality points when doing health assessments and redeem rewards, using the Vitality app.
- Peace of mind knowing that myOwn is backed by companies with a combined 120 years’ experience.
myOwn Health Insurance cover options
MyOwn offers you the choice between standalone hospital cover and combined hospital and extras cover. Standalone extras cover is not available.
Hospital only cover with AIA Vitality
Hospital cover helps with the cost of treatments you need while in the hospital. All hospital cover includes a $500 excess per policy per calendar year for singles and $1000 for couples. No co-payments apply to any treatments covered by any levels of myOwn cover.
Each of the hospital covers below includes AIA Vitality memberships for up to two adults, the main member and their partner. myOwn offers you the choice of:
- Accidental hospital cover: For members seeking a low level of cover. Covers private hospital treatment for accidental injuries only. Includes emergency transport in an ambulance. Restricted cover for Psychiatric, palliative care and rehabilitation.
- Basic hospital cover: Affordable cover, with a slightly higher level of coverage than Accident only cover. Covers private hospital treatment for accident injuries, joint investigations and reconstruction, hernias, cancer treatment, appendix removal and various other procedures.
- Mid hospital cover: Offers a broader range cover. Covers everything in Basic, but also includes rehabilitation, brain surgery, cardiac services and more.
- Comprehensive hospital cover: A high level of cover for those not wanting cover for pregnancy or IVF services. Includes cover for joint replacements, palliative care, renal dialysis, cataract surgery and more.
- Top hospital Cover: The highest level of hospital cover available. Covers private hospital treatment for everything included in the Comprehensive option, but with pregnancy-related services, IVF and reproductive services added.
Hospital and Extras cover with AIA Vitality
Extras cover can only be taken with hospital cover. Extras cover helps with the payment for treatments and services not covered by Medicare. myOwn offers five Extras Cover options, each including the AIA Vitality Program.
- Entry-level option.
- Provides treatment in a private hospital for accident-related injuries only.
- Includes emergency ambulance transportation.
- 50% can be claimed back on general and preventative dental with a $600 claiming limit per year.
- 50% claim back on chiropractic and Osteopathy with a $200 claiming limit per year.
- 100% can be claimed back on optical. However, a 6 month waiting period applies and claiming limit is $200 per year.
- An affordable option offering more than the Accident Only option.
- Private hospital cover for accidents, joint investigations and reconstructions, hernias, cancer treatment and other procedures.
- 55% claim back on general dental with an $800 claiming limit per year.
- 55% back on preventative dental with no limit to your claiming amount, Major dental is however capped at $500 per year, per member.
- 55% back on physiotherapy ($300 limit) and chiropractic and osteopathy with a $200 yearly claiming limit.
- 100% can be claimed back on optical with a $250 claiming limit.
- Mid-level hospital cover, providing coverage for cardiac services, dental implants, brain surgery and more.
- 60% on general and major dental with an $800 claiming limit per year, per member.
- 100% can be claimed back on optical with a $250 limit.
- 60% back on psychology, audiology and speech therapy, capped at $300.
- 60% claim back on no-PBS Pharmacy capped at $40 per prescription ($300 total).
- High level of coverage, excluding pregnancy-related services.
- Private hospital cover for palliative care, joint replacement, rehabilitation, cataract surgery, spinal surgery, renal dialysis, etc.
- 70% can be claimed back on general and major dental ($1000 yearly claim limit) and preventative dental.
- 70% claim back on no-PBS Pharmacy capped at $40 per prescription ($400 total).
- 70% back on Dietetics, including weight loss programs, capped at $400.
- 70% back on medically prescribed appliances like hearing aids, capped at $500.
- 100% can be claimed back on optical with a $300 claiming limit.
- Top-level hospital cover is perhaps best suited to the needs of a growing family.
- Offers the same benefits as Comprehensive but adds pregnancy-related services, including antenatal and postnatal (capped at $400 per year).
- 70% claim back on general and major dental, capped at $1000 and an orthodontics lifetime limit of $2600.
- 100% back on optical with a $300 limit per year per member.
- 70% claim back on psychology, speech and occupational therapy and audiology with a $400 yearly limit per member.
- 70% back on physiotherapy, exercise physiology, remedial massage and podiatry with a limit of $400 per year.
Find Out More About myOwn Cover
A waiting period refers to the amount of time that needs to pass before a member is entitled to the benefits of a policy.
- Pre-existing conditions: 12 months
- Pregnancy: 12 months
- Accidents and emergency ambulance: 1 day
- All other hospital admissions: 2 months
- General dental: 2 months
- Major dental: 12 months
- Psychology: 2 months
- Optical: 6 months
- Medical appliances like hearing aids: 12 months
What’s not covered
Every policy has services and treatments they don’t cover. Here are services that you will not be able to claim for with your myOwn policy:
- Hospital treatments for which Medicare pays no benefit, for example, Cosmetic Surgery.
- High-cost medications not listed on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).
- Only pays the minimum amount set out by the Australian Government for accommodation as a private patient in a shared room in a public hospital.
- Treatments provided outside of Australia.
- Treatment or services provided during a policy waiting period.
- Treatment or services provided by a family member.
FAQs about My Own health insurance
While myOwn health insurance does sound appealing, it is still worth comparing health insurance policies to ensure you purchase the right type and amount for your specific needs and requirements.
Compare Top 10 Health Insurance Companies
AIA Australia is one of the biggest life insurers’, with over 2.5 million customers. Their product range is flexible, allowing you to adapt your cover to fit your ever-changing needs. We review AIA Priority Protection features, benefits, monthly premium, and their AIA Vitality wellness program.
We reveal GMHBA health insurance benefits and features by comparing their hospital cover & extras options so you can decide if GMHBA is worth it for you.