HBF Health Insurance is one of the largest member health funds in Australia, with more than 70 years’ worth of experience, and over 900,000 members. This Western Australia based health fund is a members-owned, not-for-profit organisation, which offers a wide variety of health insurance products, from budget cover to comprehensive health protection.
HBF Health Insurance Review
The fact is that taking out private health insurance sooner rather than later can save you a lot of money in the long-term. More than that, it also gives you peace of mind knowing you and your family will be taken care of should you become ill or injured.
HBF private health insurance options
HBF’s health insurance include 4 Hospital Only insurance options, each designed to suit you at a different stage of your life. They also offer 7 Extras Only insurance options, from simple dental cover to comprehensive general treatment cover. Alternatively, you can choose to combine HBF hospital and extras cover by selecting one of their package options.
- HBF Hospital members are fully covered for 82% of medical treatments in Western Australian hospitals.
- On average, HBF covers 94.4% of the total hospital bill, including accommodation, theatre, prosthesis, and in-hospital pharmacy fees in Western Australia.
- If you switch from another health fund to HBF, you won’t have to re-serve any waiting periods.
- Visit a Member Plus dentist in Western Australia and enjoy access to a range of dental benefits each year.
- Members can visit one of several Member Plus optical stores in Western Australia and enjoy substantial discounts on frames.
- Bundle and save: If you combine home, car, or travel insurance with your HBF health cover you’ll enjoy significant savings on premiums.
- Children are covered for free on an HBF family policy.
- You gain free access to their Pocket Health app to help you achieve your health and fitness goals.
|What’s Covered?||Young Saver Hospital||Mid-Hospital||Healthy Saver Hospital||Top Hospital|
|Full cover for a shared room in an HBF Member Plus Hospital|
|Full cover for a private room in an HBF Member Plus Hospital|
|Non-PBS in-hospital Pharmacy|
|Emergency Ambulance Services|
|Eye Surgery, including cataracts and eye lens procedures|
|Joint Replacement Surgery|
|Maternity and Birth-Related Services|
|Assisted Reproductive Services (IVF)|
|Full cover for a private room for maternity patients in an HBF Member Plus Hospital|
Compare Health Insurers
Basic Extras Cover
|Saver Flexi Extras||Dental Saver|
|Low coast cover, from $5 per week. Covers general dental and urgent ambulance.||Basic cover for general dental services only. From $2.95 per week.|
|Plus you can choose two of the following options to add on:
Mid Level Cover
|Easy 8||Standard Extras|
|You receive cover for HBF’s eight most popular extras services.||You’ll be covered for 18 extras services, including everything listed in Easy 8|
|From $9.15 per week and 80% back on most services,||From $8.05 per week|
|Flexi Extras||Premium Extras Mid||Premium Extras Plus|
|From $12.90 per week||From $12.15 per week||From $19.15 per week|
|Choose 10 extras services from a list of 19 options, so you can tailor extras to suit your specific needs.||A more comprehensive extras option with 20 health services and 70% back on dental at HBF Member Plus dentists.||The highest level of Extras cover available from HBF, with generous annual benefit limits on 39 Extras services.|
Young Singles Saver Twin Pack
From $17.70 per week. Perfect for fit and healthy young singles who don’t want to pay for things like maternity and joint replacements.
- Low cost.
- Choose your own doctor.
- Cover for 5,000+ hospital treatments and seven Extras.
- Fully covered for a shared room at a Member Plus hospital.
- Avoid public waiting lists.
Smart Saver Twin Pack
From $29.35 per week. Designed for growing families who wants cover for maternity, IVF, and full cover for a private room when giving birth.
- Cover for 5,000+ hospital treatments and nine Extras.
- No gap to pay for kids’ preventative dental at HBF Member Plus dentists.
From $38.30 per week. Comprehensive hospital cover ideal for seniors, either single or couple.
- Higher benefits paid out for Extras services
- Cover for 5,000+ hospital treatments and 16 Extras
- Fully covered for a shared room at a Member Plus hospital
- Includes cover for heart treatments, joint replacements, and cataracts
- Fully covered Friendlies health check each year
From $90.55 per week. Australia’s most comprehensive level of Hospital and Extras, offering you complete peace of mind.
- Full cover for most hospital treatments
- Up to 100% back on Extras
- Up to 90-100% back on a comprehensive list of Extras
- Your choice of hospital and practitioner
HBF GapSaver Review
GapSaver covers the ‘gap’ between the total costs of your treatments and what’s covered under your policy. It consist of four levels of cover and can be added to most Hospital, Packages, or Extras policies.
- You’ll have a little money set aside to use for out-of-pocket expenses for hospital treatments and eligible Extras treatments, like dental services.
- GapSaver benefits accumulate quarterly, year after year, and they don’t expire unless you no longer have HBF cover.
- You can choose to automatically get your GapSaver benefits when you claim, or on a claim-by-claim basis.
- If you’re entitled to the Australian Government Rebate on private health insurance, you could accumulate more GapSaver dollars than you pay in premiums.
- GapSaver can only be used on eligible services that are covered on your policy.
- Only GapSaver dollars accumulated at the date of service can be used towards your claim.
HBF Private Health Insurance Exclusions, Waiting Periods, and Excesses
What’s not covered | Exclusions
- If your membership is un-financial at the time of treatment/service, for instance if your premium payments are in arrears.
- If you claim for services/treatments performed outside of Australia.
- If you claim for procedures/treatments that Medicare doesn’t offer a benefit for, like elective cosmetic surgery.
- If your claim is not lodged within two years of the date of service.
- If you claim for treatments/services performed during the waiting period on your policy.
- If you claim for treatment that’s excluded from your health insurance policy.
- If it could be covered by workers’ compensation, third party insurance, or some other legal right.
- Care and accommodation in nursing homes.
- If it’s for a treatment/service that hasn’t been received yet.
- If it’s for out-patient treatment/services.
- Accidents: Immediately covered.
- Most services and benefits (excluding accidents): 2 months waiting period.
- Pre-existing conditions and pregnancy: 12 month waiting period.
Your excess must be paid when you are hospitalised overnight and only needs to be paid once per year per policy member, up to twice a year on a family policy. You can choose a higher excess to lower your premiums, or a lower excess and pay higher premiums.
HBF Health Insurance FAQs
What is HBF “Run for a Reason”?
HBF Run for a Reason is the fitness event regularly hosted by HBF all across Australia. These walking and running events aim to encourage individuals to participate for a specific reason that’s most important to them, like losing weight, improving their fitness, or raising funds for a charity that they feel strongly about.
HBF also helps its members prepare for the HBF Run for a Reason with eight weeks free training with HBF Fitness. HBF Fitness gives you 17 outdoor locations and four group fitness levels to choose from.
What are the HBF benefits?
HBF member benefits include:
- Up to $1,000 of Momentum member benefits,
- Free health checks and flu vaccinations,
- Discounted fitness events,
- 15% off at Friendlies pharmacies, and
- Exclusive discounts at HBF Stadiums,
- 10% off gym memberships,
- Access to designated free HBF member sessions three times a week,
- Discounted personal training sessions, and
- 15% off Rival Swimwear and Running Bare sportswear.
HBF offers a diverse range of health insurance products, suitable to young singles and couples, growing families and seniors. To make sure you’re getting the best possible cover at the best possible price, it might be worth comparing HBF to other top health insurance companies in Australia.
Compare Health Insurers
Review what Bupa health insurance has to offer, Hospital, Extras and Combination packages. Discover how government changes impacts your Bupa coverage.
Request and compare quotes from Australia’s top private health insurance companies per 2019 market share. Review premium increases & customer satisfaction.
NIB and TAL has teamed up. Review TAL private health insurance hospital and extras policies which you can mix and match into a tailored health package.
Find out if you can join the private health insurance company specifically designed for medical professionals. Compare their Hospital and Extras options.
Find out if Peoplecare is the right health fund for you. We review their 3 Hospital and 4 Extras policy options, including their premiums & waiting periods.
Pros and cons of Qantas health fund. Discover their Hospital, Extras & Family cover options. Find how you can earn Qantas points with their Wellbeing App.