Why take out health insurance for couples?
Health Insurance offers you the following benefits:
- Saves you time on your paperwork because you’ll only have one policy to maintain.
- You do not have to pay the annual 2% Lifetime Health Cover loading fee that Australians must pay if you do not have private health cover after age 31.
- When your joint income exceeds $180 000 annually, you won’t have to pay the 1% to 1.5% Government Medicare Levy surcharge.
Best Health insurance for young couples
Young people between the ages of 15 and 24 might want to consider private health insurance to help pay the costs of common extras like dental and optical. The right level of hospital cover provides peace of mind, so you don’t have to worry about waiting lists, or paying out-of-pocket expenses when on a tight budget.
Bupa’s Health Insurance might be an option to consider. Their Simple Start option offers basic cover, including hospital and extras, and is the most affordable option with prices ranging from as little as $20.95 per week, depending on where you live.
Best health insurance for older couples
Partners aged 55 – 79 benefit the most by having Couples Extras Cover, receiving an average $600 benefit per person. However, as an older couple, you need to consider how a combined policy will benefit your individual needs and if it fits your budget.
Couples health insurance comparison
Every partnership is different, which is why variety options should be considered to find the best policy to suit your needs. Generally, health insurance consists of:
- Hospital Cover: Basic cover with your choice of doctor and hospital accommodation, and includes doctors’ fees, theatres and medical expenses.
- Extras Cover: Provides for services like optical, dental and physiotherapy. Chiropractic, Pharmacy and natural therapies could also be included, depending on the policy you choose.
- Ambulance Cover: This may be available separately, combined or even covered by your state government, so it is important that you carefully read and understand your policy documents.
Different couple types should consider different health insurance policies. Below are some options for you to review.
Singles vs couples Health Insurance
Before taking out health cover, it’s important that you are very clear regarding your relationship status; your status can affect your premiums and rebates. Sometimes it might be difficult to clarify your relationship, like when you and your partner function as singles over long periods of time because one of you work abroad.
Private health insurance companies providing couples cover