Whether you’re purchasing a health insurance fund for the first time or are already an Australian Unity member, it pays to compare and review policies to ensure you’re getting value for money.
Australian Unity Health Insurance Review
With a track-record of more than 175 years, this health insurer continues to benefit Australians by offering accessible healthcare and financial products. Their various hospital Packages provide you with the opportunity to choose affordable health care whether you’re single, newly married or have a family.
However, before simply relying on an Australian Unity Health Insurance quote, it pays to shop around and compare quotes from companies offering similar products.
In this article, we’ll explore what Australian Unity has to offer and whether or not they’re able to provide you with the cover you need.
About Australian Unity
Australian Unity Insurance is a national healthcare, financial services provider and retirement living organisation. Operating as the sixth largest health fund in Australia.
In addition, this Australian health insurer operates four dental clinics. Other health allied services, of which Remedy Healthcare is one, are also included. Remedy Healthcare is a preventative health business that offers health coaching, chronic disease management programmes and in-home rehabilitation services for members and customers recovering from injury or surgery.
Australian Unity Health Insurance review
Australian Unity offers you a variety of options ranging from basic to comprehensive cover. The right option for you depends on your specific needs and circumstances. You have a choice between three types of health cover:
- Combined packages (Hospital + Extras).
- Hospital Cover only.
- Extras Cover Only.
Combined packages (Hospital + Extras)
|Combined Package options||Benefits|
|Basic Saver|| |
|Basic Saver Hospital Cover|| |
|Basic Saver- Extras|| |
|Smart Start|| |
|Smart Essentials|| |
|Hospital Cover options||Description|
|Basic Hospital|| |
|Basic + Hospital|| |
|Mid Hospital|| |
|Gold Hospital|| |
Extras cover only
|Extras Only options||Description|
|Basic Extras|| |
|Bronze Extras|| |
|Gold Extras|| |
Exclusions – What is not covered?
When reviewing Australian Unity’s health cover options, there are some aspects that require careful consideration.
- Hospital benefits are not payable for private hospital emergency department fees.
- Experimental and high-cost Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) drugs are excluded.
- If you are ill or injured before taking out a health policy, you are considered to have a pre-existing medical condition. Meaning, you’ll have to serve a waiting period of 12 months before receiving cover for any treatments associated with such an illness or injury.
- Australian Unity will exclude health cover when you go overseas.
Frequently asked questions and answers
Whether Australian Unity is a good health fund or not, depends on your specific needs. They offer a wide variety of options while taking into account that your lifestyle and financial situation might change in future. To determine if they’re a good health fund for you, you must compare them to other health insurance companies.
Australian Unity Health Insurance waiting periods starts as soon as your policy commences and ends 12 months after that. Waiting periods are applied to pre-existing medical conditions, as well as when you upgrade to a higher level of cover. However, if you transfer within 30 days of leaving your previous health fund, you will not be required to reserve those waiting periods.
- Choose the type of treatment you need to claim for.
- Decide which of the following options best suit you:
- On-the-spot-claim: Simply swipe your Australian Unity card where you are.
- Online application via their mobile claiming app.
- On the phone: Call them on 1800 807 144 Monday to Friday, 8h30 to 17h00.
- Using mail, email or fax: You would need to complete a health cover claim form, attach your receipts to the form and send these to Australian Unity on the address that is on your claim form.
Yes, Australian Unity does offer ambulance cover with their hospital and combined health insurance plans. This can be purchased separately from $39.10 a year. However, stand-alone cover for ambulances is not covered.
Under the No Gap Dental Service, you are offered the following preventative dental services:
- Initial examination.
- Scale and clean.
- X-ray and topical fluoride treatment.
- Custom mouthguards that can be used during contact sports.
A minimum of 15% of any dental treatment fees is guaranteed when you use any of the 1000 smile.com.au dentists.
Yes, all Australian Unity Health members have access to the Wellplan Rewards Program, which gives you access to generous discounts. As a member, you’ll receive discounts on gym memberships, fitness equipment and apparel, eyewear, accommodation and entertainment. To gain access, you need to register or login to their Online Members Service.
Every health insurance company has pros and cons. Before purchasing a health insurance policy, compare the various healthcare options available and find the one best one suited for you and your family’s needs.
- Review their Hospital and Extras options and decide whether the not-for-profit health fund is a good option for you. Request a HIF health insurance quote now.
- Decide if you should switch or purchase health cover from NIB by reviewing their Hospital and Extras policies. Compare NIB quotes with other big health funds.
- Find out if AHM is a good choice for you and your family by reviewing the packages, Hospital and Extras policies they offer. Request an AHM quote and compare.
- Review what HCF insurance has to offer; Combined packages, Hospital & Extras, and Ambulance cover. Request an HCF health insurance quote & compare policies.
- Review what Bupa health insurance has to offer, Hospital, Extras and Combination packages. Discover how government changes impacts your Bupa coverage.
- Request and compare quotes from Australia’s top private health insurance companies per 2019 market share. Review premium increases & customer satisfaction.