Review AHM Health Insurance Hospital and Extras
While we are a privately-owned business, the offers that appear on this site are from companies from which www.comparingexpert.com.au receives compensation. We may receive compensation from our partners for placement of their products or services. We may also receive compensation if you click on certain links posted on our site.
While compensation arrangements may affect the order, position or placement of product information, it doesn’t influence our assessment of those products. Please don’t interpret the order in which products appear on our site as any endorsement or recommendation from us.
www.comparingexpert.com.au compares a select range of products, providers and services, but we don’t provide comparisons or information on all available products, providers or services. Please appreciate that there may be other options available to you than the products, providers or services covered by our service.
Whether you’re seeking private health insurance because you’re getting a bit older and need more medical care or you already have AHM health insurance and recently received your renewal email or notice of a premium increase, it’s always a good idea to review your policy options before making an informed decision regarding purchasing or switching policies.
AHM offers a wide range of policy options, including Hospital cover, Extras cover, and combined packages designed to suit you and your family at various stages of your life.
The health fund strives to make private health insurance as easy as possible by delivering a digital-first experience so that you can manage your cover online.
Combined Hospital and Extras Packages
Black + White starter flexi
Combines Hospital cover for accidents and routine Extras with a $550 flexi limit.
The cover might be better suited to young and healthy singles or couples looking for a budget-friendly policy that includes Entry-level coverage.
- In-hospital treatment as a private patient in a public or private hospital
- 1 Ambulance service per year for singles and 2 for couples
Black + White lite flexi
Affordable cover that provides basic in-hospital treatments, combined with a $700 flexi limit on Extras.
- Joint reconstructions & investigations
- Surgical removal of wisdom teeth
- Removal of tonsils, adenoids, grommets & appendix
- Minor gynaecological procedures
- General dental & endodontic
- Physiotherapy and chiropractic
- Remedial massage
Black + White boost flexi
Combines a broader range of hospital procedures with a $800 flexi limit.
- Brain surgery
- Bowel surgery
- Cancer therapies
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) for pain relief
- Non-PBS pharmaceuticals
Black + White classic flexi
Provides more than just the basics for Hospital cover, and Extras with a $900 flexi limit.
- Palliative care
- Heart-related procedures
- Implantation of hearing devices
- Insulin pumps & diabetes management
- Podiatric surgery
- Orthotics & Orthopaedic shoes
Black + White deluxe flexi
Top cover with $1,100 Flexi limit for Extras. Might be best suited to people needing more medical care, as this is the only package option that includes:
- Major dental
- Cataract surgery
- Hip and knee replacements
- Dialysis for chronic kidney failure
AHM Hospital cover
If you want coverage for in-hospital treatments, or just want private health insurance to avoid the Lifetime Health Cover (LHC) loading and Medicare Levy Surcharge (MLS), then you need a Hospital policy. With AHM Hospital cover options you generally only have the choice of a $500 excess amount. However, no hospital excess is required for kids going to the hospital.
AHM Hospital cover options available for purchase include:
Request and compare health insurance policies
AHM Extras cover
You can choose from a wide range of Extras and buy them as either a stand-alone policy or mix and match them with your choice of Hospital policy. The type of general treatments you'll be covered for, and the benefit percentage you can claim back depends on which Extras policy you choose.
AHM provides members with Health Improvement Benefits, which encourages you to improve your health and lifestyle by enabling you to claim money back on specific programs. If you have a valid Extras policy (Lifestyle, Family or Super extras) AHM might pay benefits towards:
- Health checks
- Weight loss and exercise classes
- Stress management courses
- Stop smoking courses and replacement therapies
- Disease management association fees
- Preventative tests, scans and screenings
- Cancer Counsel UV products
- Swimming lessons
Does AHM cover ambulance?
Yes, when purchasing an AHM Hospital policy, you'll receive coverage for medically necessary ambulance transportation. However, how much you can claim for ambulance services is dependent on the Hospital policy you choose. If you only have an Extras policy, the health insurer will pay benefits towards emergency ambulance services when provided by an AHM approved ambulance provider.
The amount of time you must wait before claiming on a benefit after your policy commences will depend on the level of cover you hold and the treatment or service you want to claim on.
|Waiting period||Treatment or Service|
|1 Day||Emergency ambulance|
|2 Months|| |
|2 Months|| |
|6 Months|| |
|12 Months|| |
|24 Months|| |
How do I claim AHM health insurance?
You can claim benefit on the spot using your AHM member card at any recognised Extras providers who usne HICAPS. Alternatively, you can use the AHM app to make most Extras claims. You can also log in to your AHM account online and make a claim that way. If you prefer going old school, you can download the claim form from the AHM website and email or post it the health fund.
To claim travel and accommodation, you’ll need to complete a claim form and include your invoice, which should contain a statement from your attending doctor or a copy of your medical statement or bulk billing statement.
Frequently asked questions and answers
Is AHM health insurance good?
Whether or not a private health insurer is a good option for you and your family, depends on your specific requirements and what you can afford. You might want to get an AHM quote and compare their offering and premium against similar products from other major Australian health insurance companies.
When does health insurance reset?
AHM Extras limits generally reset on the 1st of July, at the start of the financial year. However, some Extras limits are based on a rolling year and are renewed 12 months after your policy starts. Be sure to read the SIS of your chosen policy for specifics.
Is AHM not for profit?
No, AHM forms part of the Medibank group and is thus a for-profit health fund, meaning the insurer aims to return a profit to its shareholders and/or owners.
Can AHM assist with Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)?
Yes, AHM does offer health insurance for overseas students. The Australian Health Management OSHC is a business of Medibank Private Ltd.
Request an AHM health insurance quote
- Compare Australia’s major private health insurance brands. Review the list of 38 health funds and use our checklist to help you choose the best one.
- Request & compare Hospital and Extras quotes from HBF. Discover if the not-for-profit health fund offers health cover suited to your requirements in budget.
- Does Australian Unity offer value for money? Find out by comparing their package options and reviewing their benefits and exclusions.
- Discover if GMHBA provides health cover suited to your requirements and budget. We review their pros and cons and the benefits you can expect to receive.
- Review Medibank’s flexible health cover options for singles, couples & families. Find out if their Hospital and Extras policies will meet your requirements.
- Discover what HCF has to offer you and if it suits your specific requirements and budget. Review and compare their Hospital, Extras and Package options.